Example: I planted 8 Yellow Pear Tomato seeds, so if only 4 sprout, it's a 50 percent germination rate. Then I'll know how many seeds to sow when it comes time to plant in the spring, to make sure I will have the amount of full grown plants I want.
BOY. SO FAR THE RESULTS ARE REALLY GREAT!!
If you haven't seen my first post (that I had to update) my cold-stratified Kale had a 100% germination rate, and both sprouted in only two days. I was over the moon!
I did damage one of the seedlings in transferring into a pot I could put under the grow light- but this is what they both looked like after ONLY 5 DAYS:
Pretty leggy, but still growing like crazy. I've been reading about micro greens, and I'm thinking if it leafs out I might start a little microgreens garden!
My tomato plants are also rock stars! Here is the first batch of Yellow Pear tomato seeds that I collected from one plant last year. Out of 8 seeds, so far 7 have sprouted in only 5 days so I'm hoping that last little guy will emerge.
My Portulaca seeds (which I didn't save or cold stratify) do need an honorable mention though. I'm not sure what I'll do with all of them!
(As you can see, I use old plant markers for new seed flats. I go over them with some sandpaper then write with bold permanent marker.)
I'll keep updating as I know I have a bunch more tomatoes that are coming up today!




No comments:
Post a Comment