Monday, February 2, 2015

My setup

Here's where I show you what I'm doing! It may not be as successful for everyone, so again, experiment with what works best for you. 

We only have a few viable windows in the house that get enought direct sunlight- even these need an hour or two extra of a grow light in the dead of winter when days are short. 

I found a temporary greenhouse on sale a few years ago at Menards - it was off season so I snapped it up for around 20 bucks. Here, I don't have the plastic covering, I'll use that when the whole shebang goes outside in the spring. Right now, you can see I have 3 (and a half) shelves that get light. The bottom most shelf gets its light from a grow lamp. The bulb I got as a gift, and the cord and dome I had from my turtle's terrarium. It works really well, and the best part is its an LED so it's not drying out soil or getting too hot. 

Up top, I have a few plants: (from left to right) Rosemary
This is Seed Savers Exchange Rosemary- this is the second year, so hopefully this summer I can collect some seeds from it.
I also have a cactus and Aloe Vera.
On the second row, I have all my 'science experiments.' I am trying ( for the first time) to force tulip bulbs in water. I had some bulbs left over from the fall, so I decided I would try this. I see it on Pinterest from time to time, and I do love tulips. It's working great! I staggered the times that I started them, so hopefully I'll have tulips inside for about three weeks!! Then the crocus will be coming up outside :)

I also tried growing green onions from the store- another easy trick. Just cut them down to just aboe the white, put in water in front of a sunny window and about a week later, voila!

BASIL LOVERS, PAY ATTENTION!
YOU CAN PROPAGATE BASIL FROM THE STORE! 

If you love having fresh basil in the winter, and those 3 dollar packs at the store just can't cut it, do this instead! 
Take each basil part, make sure stems are in water. To get roots on these leaves, took me about three weeks. Be patient. And don't trim the leaves off to use- it will kill the rest of it!

You can see the other tulip bulbs and extra aloe basking in the sunlight behind. 

No comments:

Post a Comment