SIRI'S SCIENCE TEST
I am cold-stratifying a bunch of my seeds that are tough/ long germination time, hardy in spring and fall, or require it.
Kale, Brussels Sprouts, Spinach, Butterfly Weed, Milkweed, Lupine.
I have had them in storage in a dark, 45 degree room for about 2 weeks. Kale, Brussels Sprouts, and spinach are cold hardy plants that I didn't start early enough last year, so I'm trying again this year. I also had problems with my spinach even sprouting last year ( I use Seed Savers Exchange America Spinach and Brussels Sprouts, as well as Dutch Curled Kale from SSE).
Side note: I am trying to stay away from non-GMO seeds as I'm attempting to start saving my seeds. This can also affect germination rate as some seeds may not be viable because they're too old. But I started mainly to save money.
I planted my seeds on Saturday January 31st, using Burpee organic seed starting soil. ( I know- Burpee. It was a better deal, and organic!)
I re use my old plastic seed starting trays- although they are fragile since the plastic is old. Here is my setup over a heat register:
I just have two trays of cells with different seeds. The cold stratified and saved seeds are labeled in each cell with the type and amount of seeds I placed in there. I also have a row of Portulaca for the window boxes and Impatiens.
And I've been having some pretty spectacular results.
This is what my kale look like today( two days later):
I kid you not. I'm freaking out!
It only took two days!
I planted 2 seeds and I have two very tiny seedlings already. This is going to be weird now, since they'll need sun and the rest of the tray won't for a while.
Update (later that day): I ALSO HAVE ALL OF MY PORTULACA SPROUTING. It's too tiny to take a photo, but I can't believe it. Honestly. Its freaking unbelievable.
I will update when I get the next sprouts!



No comments:
Post a Comment