That's when I learned about saving seeds. It's WAY easier than I thought, the plant ends up being more adapted to the mini climates in your garden as well as hardier and, you know, free.
There's a catch!
In order to be able to grow successful, productive seeds the next year, you need plants that haven't been genetically modified. So all my devil hybrid Burpee seeds that have extra special names... Won't work.
I go to SEED SAVERS EXCHANGE, out of Iowa. They have a gigantic selection of heirloom, untreated, non- hybrid, non-GMO seeds. There are only a few stores that carry the seed packets (which are oh so reasonably priced) so I usually order mine online. It's definitely hard to get to know the cycles and needs of each plant, but they will help you! Call them or go online www.seedsavers.org and get ordering.
A quick note from Siri: All my experiences with SSE products have been great. The only thing that has caused a ruckus is wholly on my part. Those people do great work. For realsies.
I began by dipping my toe last year. I researched A LOT about each plant that I planned on saving seeds from, and it's really exciting knowing all the different techniques. It's also taught me a lot about plants and how they are spread in the wild. Here's what sparked my interest:
Two years ago, I had planted a yellow pear tomato. Great harvest, got all the produce I wanted. Let the plant go to pot, birds and rabbits alike had a field day. Fast forward to last summer when I decided I was going to go the paste tomato route (San Marzano, Amish Paste from SSE.) Much to my surprise in a sandy lonely corner of the yard, a tomato plant appeared! I had no idea where it came from, but I kept it watered (kind of) and kept an eye on it. Turns out it was a yellow pear tomato plant. The hardiest lil sucker in the garden!This got my bean wheels turning. Where did it come from? I didn't think tomatoes were annuals? And many others.
I saved those seeds, by golly. I can't wait to see if and when they germinate what those plants will be like this summer!
I have all my seeds that I saved in my test batch to see if they'll sprout. Here's my seed basket. The basmati rice bag has all my super SSE seeds. I've also collected some older seeds from my sister that I'm testing.
Here's what I saved from last year: (some in my test batch aren't what I saved, just got from others)
Milkweed
Giant Marigolds 3'
Short Marigolds
Amish Paste Tomatoes
San Marzano tomatoes
Yellow Pear Tomatoes ( which I have nicknamed BP or bird poop, since that's how I think they got there 😜)
I will create another post with my test results and how to save seeds!

No comments:
Post a Comment